Back pain and discomfort is a common complaint during pregnancy, especially during the second and third trimesters. As the baby grows, the weight of the baby shifts forward and places additional stress on the low back. Sciatic pain is pain that starts in the low back and runs down the glute and leg. This condition is often seen during pregnancy, and is very uncomfortable and self-limiting. This discomfort can interfere with walking and sleeping.
- Center of gravity shifts forward creating an increase in the low back curve which puts additional stress on the nerves as they exit the back
- An increase in relaxin hormones causes ligament laxity in the pelvis which leads to instability.
- Sleeping on your side causes pressure on the hip and creates additional stress on the low back.
- Sleep on your side keeping a pillow between your knees – this provides balance in the pelvis and takes tension off the low back.
- Wear flats – high heels will cause an additional stress on the low back by compressing the joints.
- Pelvic tilt exercises will help to stretch out the muscles around the pelvis. The cat/cow stretch great way to stretch these muscles.
- Chiropractic adjustments will maintain spinal and pelvic alignment, which allows room for the baby to grow. Adjustments are safe for mom and baby, promotes easier delivery, and can decrease labor time by 24%.
Our chiropractors are trained to examine and adjust pregnant women, and our patients get great results with chiropractic care.
Source: Fallon, D.C. The effect of chiropractic treatment on pregnancy and labor, 1991.