The internet can be full of a ton of facts but it can also be loaded with fiction. Most people who have seen a chiropractor before may have received some philosophy or education about what is involved with chiropractic. But there are also the unfortunate few who still do not know anything about chiropractic. These people are no different than those who have never been to a chiropractor for treatment. So, whether you are a current/former patient or have never received an adjustment I hope the following information serves its purpose in letting you know that there is much more to chiropractic other than “popping” or “cracking”.
The following are the top 5 things that people do not know about chiropractic:
1. Pain is the symptom and not the cause. The majority of people who go to chiropractors are driven by pain but it is usually not the first symptom of the underlying cause of the problem. Only about 6% of the nervous system transmits pain. Symptoms such as stiffness, soreness, numbness, tingling or even fatigue will occur first. Pain is the last to be felt but the first to go away but our main goal for patients is to have the nervous system operating at its optimal potential. But I cannot remember a time when a patient asked me to check his or her spine to assure their nervous system was 100% healthy. The goal is for patients to realize that even with the side effect of pain being gone that it is important to keep the spine healthy so that the body can be healthy as well.
2. The chiropractor does not do the healing. The job of the chiropractor is to find and locate the subluxation (the joint that is not motioning properly) and to restore proper function to free up pressure on the nervous system. By removing the interference that is affecting the nervous system and causing the symptoms the body will be able to heal itself. This is known as innate intelligence. Chiropractors are firm believers in believing that the body’s innate intelligence will allow for it to heal but it can only operate effectively when free from subluxations. Any disruption of nerve flow due to subluxations allows disease-causing agents to increase leading to possible illness.
3. People of all ages can see a chiropractor. Anyone can seek treatment from a chiropractor and age does not matter. The old saying from chiropractors is “from the womb to the tomb” when it comes to received chiropractic treatment based on age. Even the first misalignment that occurs in the spine is when we are pulled into this world from our mothers at birth. This common misalignment in the first bone in the neck, known as the atlas, can cause a plethora of symptoms from croup to colic to acid reflux in infants. Most seniors could benefit from receiving routine adjustments as well. Restoring proper joint function to help reduce further spinal degeneration, relief of pain, increased range of motion and coordination are all great reasons as to why those who are older should seek the help of a chiropractor. I believe that it’s never to late to be feeling great!
4. All types of athletes seek out the care of a chiropractor. Athletes in all sports are concerned with one thing in order to help them become the best, which is movement. The better the body moves then the better the athlete can perform at a higher level. Chiropractors are movement specialists not only of the body but mainly the spine. The spine is the foundation for movement and without having one in the best position then all aspects of the body cannot perform at their best. Star athletes such as Aaron Rodgers, Tiger Woods, Jordan Speith, Michael Jordan, Rich Froning and Tom Brady all receive routine chiropractic care to help better their bodies to perform at their maximum potential. By receiving chiropractic care not only will the body be allowed to move better but it will greatly reduce the risk of future injury. Spinal adjustments allow muscles to relax which reduced stress on joints such as shoulders, knees, hips and ankles.
5. Getting adjusted too many times can cause arthritis. In actuality, precise chiropractic manipulations due to exact opposite. The one thing that can cause damage to the spine and eventually arthritis is “adjusting” yourself. I have encountered many people who choose to “pop” themselves to help to alleviate pain but they are really doing themselves harm. When people adjust themselves it is not the same as popping your knuckles. Yes, the same endorphin release goes to the brain when the cavitation takes place but usually the bone in the neck or back that is stuck does not move. There is a sense of relief but there is a repetitive nature of self adjusting that takes place over and over again. This builds over time and can lead to pain because the misalignment is not fixed and eventually causes the arthritis. This is why a person who starts to experience symptoms before pain should seek a chiropractor quickly before trying to adjust oneself. By quickly restoring motion to the proper joints the chances of getting arthritis are eliminated and the pesky “stuck” joint not take place.
So, do yourself a favor and go see your local chiropractor. Educate yourself on what you are experiencing as you go through treatment. And lastly, never be afraid to ask questions. It’s your body and your healthy that is our primary concern and we believe that it should be yours as well.
“Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.” -Jim Rohn
Dr. Brandon Siegmund was born and raised outside of Fort Worth. After he obtained his Bachelor’s degree in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin in 2006, Dr. Siegmund performed clinical research at MD Anderson Cancer Center. Click Here To Read Full Bio